(or Abusive Debt Collectors)
The concern about home foreclosure, medical bills, car repossession, and credit card debt is enough to worry about. You shouldn’t have to deal with harassment from your creditors, too. The encouraging news is that you don’t have to.
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), protects you, by prohibiting Debt Collectors from taking collections to far. When creditors go too far, you may be able to recover money from them on account of their unlawful conduct.
The FDCPA prohibits debt collectors from certain collection activities, including:
- Contacting you at work
- Threatening to file criminal charges against you
- Threatening to remove your children to social services
- Using foul, crude, or abusive language
- Contacting you after 9:00pm and before 8:00am
- Contacting your friends, family members, co-workers, or neighbors about your debt
- Threatening to contact your employer to divulge your financial situation
If any of these things have happened to you, we encourage you to call us at the Heller & Thyen, P.A., to discuss your rights in pursuing a claim against the debt collector for money damages. You have rights – let us protect them.